Phone: +91 94808 38999, +91 8182 267011
Message from the Vice Chancellor The University of Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences, Shivamogga is the first integrated University in the State of Karnataka, which has both Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences under its purview. It was established under the Karnataka Act no. 38 of 2012, vide notification no. Sam. Vya. Sha. Ilakhe, 19 Shasana 2012, dated 21.09.2012 published in the Special Gazette of Karnataka, part IV-A, No. 656 on 21.09.2012 bringing it into immediate effect.
The University has six educational institutes at Shivamogga, Mudigere, Ponnampet, Hiriyur, Kathalagere and Brahmavara, four Zonal Agricultural and Horticultural Research Stations at Shivamogga, Hiriyur, Mudigere and Brahmavar and nine Agricultural and Horticultural Research Stations at Bavikere, Kathalagere, Honnavile, Thirthahalli, Sringeri, Ponnampet, Madikeri, Kademadkal and Ullal and two Extension Education Units at Kathalagere and Madikeri functioning to solve the various problems of the farming community.
The University of Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences, Shivamogga is blessed with diverse agro-ecological situations, varied land use systems and valuable natural resources including western-ghats, a biodiversity hot spot. University needs to expand horizontally adding a range of degree courses, postgraduate programmes and training systems and vertically by adding, restructuring the curriculum of all the degree and postgraduate programmes if its immense potential is to be harnessed for the growth of the region. The University has to grow in many folds in terms of students out-turn, teaching campuses, diversification of agricultural education, creating infrastructure facilities required to carry out research in new emerging areas and to address location specific technology dissemination programmes. Thus, it is the time for us to have introspection about our achievements, goals and foresee the changes to be brought in structure and functioning of the organisation to make it more vibrant to address emerging challenges.
Being the Executive Head of the University of Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences, Shivamogga responsible for promotion of quality education (both UG and PG), need based research in different agro-ecological situations in Agriculture, Horticulture and Forestry, organising Seminars, Workshops and Trainings for different stake holders, creation of desired infrastructure to meet challenges, recruitment of officers, scientists and supporting staff, effective outreach activities through Extension Education institutions such as Krishi Vigyan Kendras and Extension units, organising Krishimela, Field days and demonstrations, establishment and development of new institutions and organise, plan and implement various academic, research, extension, student activities of the University through a decision making process involving all statutory and non-statutory Committees of the University. Mustering the financial requirements of the University from the State Government, Central Government and various funding agencies and suitably providing budgetary support to all the Directorates and Educational Institutions are also addressed.
- The newly formed University of Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences, Shivamogga, taking care of the academic, research, development and extension activities of the University besides general and scientific administration for proper functioning of the University since, 2012.
- Instrumental in getting a 5 year accreditation of the new University and its constituent colleges from Indian Council of Agriculture Research.
- Six All India Coordinated Research Projects viz., Arecanut, Palm, Chickpea, Groundnut, Agro-forestry, Nematodes and Maize were approved by ICAR and are being implemented.
- One new Agriculture Diploma college was started at Brahmavar. For establishment of new University campus, 777.07 acres of land was approved by Government of Karnataka
- Master plan is prepared and tender process is completed for establishment of new university campus as PG campus for imparting PG education in 24 disciplines of Agriculture, Horticulture and Forestry sciences.
- Vision 2030 document is prepared which provides Road map for the University to plan and Programme for the next 10-15 years.
- All farms in the University have been developed by adopting micro irrigation facility.
- Instrumental in getting many projects from various funding agencies which helped to create the infrastructure facilities for developing the technologies.
- Networking of all libraries with ICAR system and creation of video conferencing facility has been established.
- Inspired by the Hon’ble Prime Ministers slogan ‘My village my pride’, our University introduced Village Adoption Programme. Twenty villages were identified and special stress was given in these villages for improving the crop productivity and socio-economic conditions of the farmers
- To attract rural youth for agriculture and to provide self-employment for rural youths certificate courses, Bee keeping, Micro irrigation, Value addition was started by the University.
- The scientists of Home Science Department were given big support to establish laboratories for preparation of value added food products keeping in view the food safety issues.
- The University is well supported by the Teachers, Administrative Support Staff and Agriculture Labours to achieve its mandates and goals to serve the farming community in the State and Country at large.
- The young upcoming University is trying to do well with the support of teachers, researchers, extension staff and administrative staff to achieve the mandates and vision and is taking bold and appropriate steps to cater to the needs of the farming community.
- The University is catering to the needs of farming community through Krishi Vigyan Kendras located at Shivamogga, Chitradurga, Udupi and Chikkmagaluru districts by undertaking various extension activities viz., frontline demonstration, on farm testing, discussion meetings, farmers field school, krishi mela, field days, besides supplying seeds and quality planting materials, timely farm advisory works and farm publications.
- I am happy to mention that our students have achieved ranks in ICAR-JRF Examination and excelled in extra–curricular activities including sports and cultural activities.
- On this occasion, I wish to congratulate all the staff and students, who brought laurels to the University and extend my sincere thanks to everyone who have contributed for the development of the University.
- On behalf of the University, this office assures continued support, guidance and help and extends warm welcome and best wishes to all the individuals associated with the University.